STARS – Supporting TAlented PhD Research Students Call for applications – PhD projects
What is STARS?STARS is a program supporting talented PhD students at the Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague. The aim of this program is to provide excellent education and an adequate income to PhD students of the Faculty. The STARS program wants to attract the best students from the Czech Republic as well as from abroad. Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague, is a top-quality centre of research in natural sciences. The Faculty takes care about its future and that’s why the STARS program was born. Come to Prague and become the future of our Faculty!
February 1, 2012
PhD research topics and application form will be available.
March 1, 2012
Deadline for application
March 1 - April 1, 2012
Interviews with candidates organized by research teams and faculty PhD coordinators, more information will be available on this website.
Beginning of the PhD Study
Am I eligible?The STARS program is open to all applicants who hold a master‘s degree or equivalent in sciences, medicine, pharmacology and a related field of study. It is also open to students who are in the last year of their studies and will be able to present their degree diploma at the beginning of their PhD study. The candidate should be proficient in English; however, no formal English exam (such as TOEFL) is required.
How can I apply?You can choose up to three projects (see Open calls) for which you can then apply through an online application form.
How are candidates selected?The program is competitive. The supervisors of the individual PhD projects will shortlist eligible applicants, who will then be invited for an interview to be held during the month of March. The exact interview dates will be agreed between the supervisors and the candidates. Based on the interviews, the applicants to whom the scholarship will be offered will be selected in the beginning of April.
Please do not hesitate to ask our coordinators if you have any questions!
Call for applications – PhD projects
During the STARS 2012 call, prospective students can apply to PhD research topics announced on the web pages on February 1, 2012. Deadline for application is March, 1, 2012.
Find more about PhD project topics:
- Genetic variation, reproductive strategies and interspecific hybridization of European crayfish
- Design and construction of Src FRET biosensor
- Receptors, G-proteins and myocardial transmembrane signaling in the SHR-Tg19 transgenic strain of spontaneously hypertensive rats
- Specific immunotherapy using mesenchymal stem cells in experimental models
- Induction and maintenance of posttranscriptional and transcriptional transgene silencing in tobacco cell line BY-2
- Biological activity of selected fungal and bacterial secondary metabolites
- Targeting of viral nanoparticles to cancer specific receptors
- Evolutionary processes in basal groups of Polyphaga (Coleoptera)
- Membrane dynamics adn the inheritance of Giardia intestinalis mitosomes
- Development of biofilm colonies of wild yeast strains: Cell differentiation and function of different defense mechanism
- Evolutionary history and population processes in Central-European endemic taxa of the genus Dianthus
- Comparative genome analysis of free living Mastigamoeba balamuthi and related pathogen Entamoena histolytica
- Mechanisms of visual system regression in subterranean rodents
- Long-Term landscape changes in Czechia: Types, definitions, delimitation, modelling and prognosis
- Transition of reproductive patterns, their conditions and contexts with special attention to the Czech Republic
- Possibilities of hyperspectral data for forest physiological state evaluation
- Impact of forest disturbance on the dynamics of fluvial processes
Running title: Impact of forest disturbance on the dynamics of fluvial